Total Pageviews

Tuesday 24 May 2011

Still windy

I managed to cycle for 4 hours yesterday and it was very tough. By far the windiest conditions I have ever biked in. The one comforting thought that kept passing through my head was that this was rural Suffolk, not the Scottish Highlands, where it was blowing a gale. Of course the real deal will be through the Scottish Highlands...

When you're on the bike for hours at a time you get plenty of time to think. Here are some thoughts and observations I had/made yesterday:

I need to get a haircut...
My hair isn't long but a little scruffy. The first time your hair flops into your eyes it's a little annoying, after the thousandth time it's VERY annoying. Therefore, I plan to get a good haircut before heading to Scotland.

Secure all straps on the helemt...
Similar to above. Loose straps can be painful when flapping about in the wind and against your face. Secure them.

Don't forget sunglasses...
Sunglasses are not only good at blocking UV rays. They save your eyes from insects, bugs and debris. With yesterdays wind there was a lot of vegetation flying about and quite a lot of it ended up in my eyes, which is quite painful.

Wind nullifies gravity...
Generally the only bit I look forward to on my travels is the downhill. I can't describe how frustrating it is when you're trickling down a steep (by Suffolk terms) hill because the wind is howling into your face. And of course, the more you go downhill the more you go uphill - I'm sure there was a point yesterday I was actually going backwards.

Don't get ahead of yourself...
Thoughts of 'This isn't to bad' or 'This wind was over-hyped' shouldn't be had. Invariably it's because the wind is on your back and you truly discover how windy it is as soon as you turn the next corner.

These were just a few thoughts I had yesterday. Today, I'm off work again. That means it's time to jump back on the bike. It isn't windy today, it's breezy. That means it should be easier. But I still don't have my sunglasses...

No comments:

Post a Comment